Monday, July 5, 2010

Lil Kim: "I'm still relevant!"


Quote:
Grammy-winning rapper Lil Kim recently talked about changing with the times and maintaining her relevancy as a hip-hop veteran.

Speaking on the changes hip-hop has undergone over the past decade, Kim claims she is still able to reinvent herself.

"I'm constantly growing, my album came out in '97 but I started doing music in the early '90s. One reason that I'm still here and I'm still relevant to this day - probably even more relevant than a lot of new people who come into the industry - is because I know how to reinvent myself, I know how to change with the times. I think that, no matter who you are these days - you could be young, you could be old, you could be new, you could be an artist that's been in the industry for a minute - I think it's all about a hot record these days, it's different. I think that's the only difference I could point out - you know, you could have a hot song back in the day but it may not break through. But now if you have a hot song - it doesn't have to have a lot of thought behind it, it doesn't have to be a deep record, you don't even have to be very talented as long as you come up with something that's catchy and, you know, something that is now." (The Vine)

Recently, Drake talked about the importance of relevancy and cited Kim for being jealous of Nicki Minaj.

"Yeah I think the main thing for me was - and the reason I lashed out in that situation - was, because it wasn't about me. And there are a lot of stupid things that other of rappers are going to try and rope me into. But at the end of the day, unfortunately, that's not what pushes my buttons. You can say anything to me and I will not react to it. And even in that specific situation [with Lil Kim] when things start getting said about me, it lost its thrill. You know what I mean? My biggest thing was I don't like when you talk about people I love. People that I know for a fact are working very hard and are very respectful people. I don't like that. That pushes my buttons more than anything you can say about me. It was wrong for ever saying anything in regards to that situation and, as you can see, I left it alone. Its over at this point. You know, I'm not going to give somebody a "look" off that. The fact is, I see Nicki pay a lot of respect to a lot of emcees in the game and she's just working hard, doing her thing. Other individuals who aren't relevant get jealous." (All Hip Hop)

SOURCE: SOHH
*DISCUSSION THREAD*