Thursday, June 2, 2011

FOTP Exclusive Q&A with Bobble Head

Interview by Fantini Blake @FOTPBlog



20 year old Denver, Colorado native Bobble Head has been generating a lot of buzz recently with his distinct brand of dance-pop. He first garnered attention on Myspace, scoring hundreds of thousands of plays and over 50,000 fans. Luckily for him, he added as a friend actor/singer Eric West. The two kept in touch and West became his manager - now Bobble Head cites West as a "brother figure" (as well as manager) and intends on following in his footsteps going into acting too.

Bobble Head is currently working on his debut album and recently released a buzz single, titled "RoBoDic".  Check out his answers to FOTP's questions, as well as his music, just below. 

1. First of all, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. How are you?

The pleasure is mine, thank you so much. I appreciate it! I'm amazing. 

2. Your birth name is Hunter Brown, which is pretty memorable name on its own. Why did you choose to go by Bobble Head professionally? Does it have anything to do with Christina Aguilera's song of the same name?

Funny enough, I actually had no idea she had a song called "Bobble Head" until the other day (haha). So no it doesn't. I've been asked this question a lot and eventually I think I'll just go by Hunter Brown, but the name Bobble Head came from an observation by my friend who told me I bob my head like a bobble head! A John Elway one specifically.

3. You’ve said “Bobble Head” is a character, separate from Hunter Brown – like Batman and Bruce Wayne. Where do you draw the line between the two? If you’re out with your friends and a fan comes up, do you immediately switch from Hunter to Bobble? What would Bobble Head do that Hunter wouldn’t?

Bobble Head is kind of like a mad scientist in a lab who spends lots of time creating and experimenting. I turn into him when I'm in the studio producing/writing/recording or when I'm on stage. Any other time I'm just Hunter. If a fan came up to me I would shake his hand and ask him how he's doing. If he asked for a picture I would say "of course". I love people in general and I love my fans even more.  

4. You’re currently working on your debut album. What kind of sounds and influences can we expect to hear on it?

A lot of Dance beats. House, Electro, maybe even a little bit of Dub Step. We'll see. I was listening to dance before it became relevant and it's always been my thing so I'm not going to sway too far from that on my first album. But as a pop artist you aim for smash hits every time you record so you can expect the catchy hooks and melodies you would hear on a song that Max Martin wrote.

5. A lot of people might not know that you actually produce and write all of your music. But if you were to work or collaborate with someone else and could choose anyone, which writers or producers would you go for?

Yea it's humorous. A lot of times people will listen to the music and ask "Who wrote this?" or "Who produced this?". And I'm kind of standing there like "Ummmm, me." But I would love to work with Dr. Luke, Pharrell and Will.I.Am. I look up to those guys a lot so that would be awesome. 

6. What is the preparation that goes on behind the scenes? To stay fit, to sound your best, to bring your A-game always? Do you have to dedicate your life 24/7 to your music career?  

Yes! If you want to be the best at something you can never get too comfortable. I work non stop. I'm in the gym five days a week. I'm in the studio every day. A lot of it comes down to having a rhythm to your life and creating a routine that works. Luckily, I have the best manager ever and he helps me more than you can imagine. But I'm still working all day, every day. 

7. What would you say have been the biggest obstacles you have had to overcome so far, both as an artist and in life in general?

As an artist it was finding out who I was and figuring out my musical capabilities. That's a process, it doesn't happen over night. I couldn't always sing, produce and do everything you see me doing now. As a person it was dealing with adversity properly. I once was told life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Once I really understood that my whole life changed.

8. And the biggest misconception people have about you?

I'm not sure honestly. I think some people think that I'm somebody else's puppet, a marketing scheme or something. Not knowing that I'm the one who's done all of my music, crafted my image and everything else. That comes with being a pop artist a lot of times though. 

9. What songs are currently on replay on your personal playlist?

Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F) by Katy Perry. I love that song! Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO and The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars

10.  You’re a pretty guy, no doubt. Is it ever hard to make people look past your good looks to your other talents, or even to your own personal qualities? 

Well thank you! I'm very flattered. I don't really take note of my looks or anything I just try to look as good as I can and stay healthy. But yes sometimes people think that if your attractive then you must not have to work as hard or things come easier and that couldn't be further from the truth. Once people get to know me, even after one conversation, they say "Wow you are so different than I thought you'd be". And that's why nobody should ever judge anybody! 

11.  Your buzz single “RoBoDic” dropped last month and is available on iTunes now. Such a club-ready banger! From what I can gather, everyone who's heard it loves it. How did that song come about?

I was listening to Swedish House Mafia's song "One (feat. Pharell)" and I fell in love with it. That inspired "Robodic" a lot musically. Specifically the sound of the chords. And I almost always write the lyrics as I produce simultaneously so it just kind of fell into place. 

12.  Is the lead single from your album already picked out? What can you tell us about it?

It's not! But I can promise you that my first single will be a song that gets you dancing and feeling good. Nothing slow. 

13.  Can we anticipate a music video anytime soon? Are you already playing around with ideas for your first video treatment?

Me and my manager have been talking about my first video and some things we want to do and other things we want to avoid. I don't want to give anything away but once again I promise that it will be nothing short of spectacular.

14.  What’s next for Bobble Head 2011? What do your fans have to look forward to?

An album, music videos, touring, everything! It's all coming very soon and I can't wait to share it with you. Good times are on the way! 

15.  Any final words?

Well first I'd like to say thank you again for having me, means a lot. And I'd just like to tell everybody that if you believe in yourself and your actions show that then don't stop doing what your doing! Because it pays off. The first thing you have to do if you want to make your dreams come true is wake up. So live life to the fullest, always be content but never be satisfied! 






And there you have it. Sexy as hell, talented and articulate to boot. Big things are on the horizon for Bobble Head, so be on the look-out for him as 2011 progresses - keep checking back here, as I'll be sure to report on all major Bobble Head-related developments. 

Check out his Offical Website and follow him on Twitter @iamdjbobblehead.
You can also find him on Facebook and download three of his songs (including RoBoDic) on iTunes